Crime and Justice: Past, Present and Future - 13 & 14 November 2015
SASO's 46th Annual Conference - "Crime and Justice: Past, Present and Future" will be held on 13th and 14th November 2015 at the Dunblane Hydro Hotel.
In the Chair: Paul Johnston, Director-General Learning & Justice, Scottish Government
Keynote addresses from:-
- Professor Susan McVie, University of Edinburgh - "The Crime Drop in Scotland: Patterns, Trends & Potential Explanations"
- DCC Iain Livingston, Police Scotland - "The new Crime: internet and Cyber Crime"
- Professor Lesley McAra, University of Edinburgh - "Less crime without more punishment"
- Alan Baird, Chief social Work Adviser to the Scottish Government - "Changing services and practices"
- Vivian Geiran & Michael Donnellan, Irish Probation & Prison Services - "Changing Criminal Justice: Lessons from Prisons and Probation in Ireland"
- Professor Alexis Jay, OBE, Centre for Excellence for Looked After Children in Scotland - "The challenge of Child Protection"
After Dinner Speaker - The Rev John Chalmers, former Moderator of the Church of Scotland
Panel Discussion: Interactive Session: Exhibition: Networking Opportunities
Download the full conference programme here.
Download the registration form here.
Crossing Boundaries - Exploitation, E-Crime, Evidence & Extradition: 21-25 June 2015
International Society for the Reform of Criminal Law
28th International Conference
21 – 25 June 2015
In the Chair: Lesley Thomson QC, Solicitor General for Scotland
Guest Speakers including: Lord Carloway, Lord Turnbull and other senior judges - see attached programme.
Delegates will comprise a mix of academics, social workers, law enforcement, prison governors as well as prosecution and defence lawyers.
- · The flexible pass allows any single organisation to nominate up to 5 separate attendees so that different members of the firm or organisation can attend on different days.
Additional Conference information and registration instructions available on the conference website at http://www.cvent.com/d/9rqj65
Community Payback Orders - 23 April 2015
SASO Dumfries & Galloway Branch welcome guest speakers Margie Miller, Senior Social Worker & Community Payback Service Users on Thursday 23rd April 2015 at 5.30 pm, CJSW Community Payback Workshop, King Street, Dumfries.
Community Payback Orders are an effective way in which courts deal with people who have committed a criminal offence. Unpaid work, supervision, addressing re-offending, paying compensation and alcohol and drugs interventions are just a few of the options available. CJSW staff charged with supporting this critical work have previously spoken at Dumfries & Galloway Branch events. This meeting, however, will hear directly from the people who are currently undertaking Community Payback Orders.
SASO members and non-members alike are welcome.
See flyer attachment below for full details.
SASO Glasgow Branch Day Conference - 14 May 2015
The SASO Glasgow Branch Day Conference - "The exploitation of the vulnerable - how the law protects the dignity of vulnerable individuals" - will be held on 14th May 2015 from 1 pm to 7 pm at the McCance Lecture Theatre, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
In the chair: Kirsty Wark, Journalist, Broadcaster & Writer
- Mhairi McGowan, ASSIST & Domestic Abuse Services, Community Safety, Glasgow
- Doorsuur Zasha, Dignity Alert Research Forum (DARF)
- Assistant Chief Constable Malcolm Graham, Major Crime & Public Protection, Police Scotland
- Robert Fyfe, Practice Teacher & Appropriate Adult, Social Work Standby Service
- Iain Logan, Policy Division, Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
Exploring themes including domestice abuse, female genital mutilation, organised crime, appropriate adults, child support law, forced marriage, human trafficking and exploitation.
Registration rates from £25 to £90. 4.5 hrs CPD for Advocates, Solicitors, CJSW, Police, Children's Hearings Member
SASO Aberdeen Branch - Upcoming Seminars
SASO Aberdeen Branch will be hosting two seminars on 19 March and 22 April. These are open events - all welcome.
"Human Trafficking: a national response"
Thursday 19 March 2015 at 5.45 pm, RGU, Aberdeen
Guest speaker: DI Steven Cartwright, Police Scotland
"MAPPA - Working together works" & "Moving Forward Making Changes: a new approach to working with sexual offenders"
Wednesday 22 April 2015 at 5.45 pm, RGU Aberdeen
Guest speakers: Bill Archbald, MAPPA Co-ordinator, Grampian & Corinne Miller, Team Manager, Joint Sex Offender Project
View flyer attachments below for full details.
- Tomorrow's Women - SASO Glasgow Branch Seminar - 5 February 2015
- Psychosocial Undercurrents in the Voices of Incarcerated (Violent) Young Males in Scotland - Thursday 19th February 2015
- The reality of the Order for Lifelong Restriction - Tuesday 3 February 2015
- 6 November 2014 - Changes to the Sex Offender Treatment Programme