Sue Berelowitz: Deputy Children's Commissioner to speak at SASO Glasgow Conference - 8 May 2014
SASO Glasgow Branch welcomes Sue Berelowitz, Deputy Children's Commissioner & Chief Executive, Office of the Children's Commissioner, London to it's Annual Conference on Thursday 8 May at the Assembly Hall, Police Scotland, Pitt Street, Glasgow. Ms Berelowitz will give a keynote presentation entitled "I thought I was the only one: the only one in the world" reporting on the findings of the inquiry into child exploitation in groups and gangs.
The conference, entitled "Children: Offending & Offended Against" will be chaired by The Rt Hon the Lord Hope of Craighead, KT. Additional guest presenters include
- Sir Harry Burns, Chief Medical Officer for Scotland
- Lars Wallinder, Ministry of Justice, Sweden
- Malcolm Schaffer, Scottish Children's Reporter Administration
- Professor Lesley McAra, Chair of Penology, Head of Law School, University of Edinburgh
Shared Sentences, run by the charity Media Education, is a project providing a unique filmmaking experience, providing a direct and visible point of contact for the community with those who have offended. It is designed to show offenders as individuals with their own unique circumstances, issues and stories to tell, and provides a strong platform for the visibility of community justice, including the impact of community sentences.
Inaugual Meeting of SASO Aberdeen Branch - 30 January 2014
SASO is planning to re-establish an Aberdeen branch during 2014 and to this end has called an inaugural meeting on Thursday 30 January 2014 at 5.30 pm in Room N204, Riverside East Building, Robert Gordon University, Garthdee Road, Aberdeen. At this meeting, Niall Campbell, Honorary Vice President of SASO will be in attendance to assist with the process of re-forming the branch.
Audrey Mooney, the former Governor at HMP Aberdeen will also be talking about the closure of Craiginches Prison as well as challenges relating to women offenders.
It is hoped that as many interested parties as possible will join us for this inaugural meeting not only to support our guest speaker but thereafter to discuss Branch Officials, meeting arrangements, an initial programme of speakers etc. It is appreciated that not all interested parties may wish to be involved in an official capacity but if you are able to offer any assistance at all, this would be greatly appreciated.
- If you would be interested in attending future meetings
- If you would be interested in helping out with the organisation of meetings
- If you would be able to act as a contact point within your organization for circulating meeting / event details
- Your contact details (e mail address and telephone number) which would then - with your agreement – be noted on a database for the sole purpose of contacting you in the future.
- Contact details for other individuals whom you think may be interested in participating or attending future SASO events in the Aberdeen area.
We look forward to seeing you on 30 January!
Sheriff Graeme Napier (Aberdeen Sheriff Court)
Isobel Townsend (Lecturer in Social Work, Robert Gordon University)
Peter Willox (Chief Officer, Northern CJA)
Nicola Youngson (Lecturer in Social Work, Robert Gordon University)
The Street - a live performance by Regen:fx
Thursday 6 February 2014
Assembly Hall, Police Scotland,
Pitt Street, Glasgow
Refreshments from 6.00 pm
Performance commences at 6.30 pm sharp.
Sentencing in Scotland: Is justice getting tougher?
A copy of the presentation on 3 December 2013 at SASO Edinburgh, by Emma Milburn & Catherine Bissett - Scottish Government Justice Analytical Unit - entitled "Sentencing in Scotland: Is justice getting tougher?" now available to download here.